Monday, October 18, 2010

MC's Birthday Ride

Almost to Alpine Dam
I think our cycling crew has started a new tradition...Birthday kid gets to pick the ride.  MC decided she needed to keep all of us honest and suggested a killer route for her day.  She somehow "forgot" how hard it really was...I guess that is kind of like a lot of things, once you forget how painful it was, you're ready to do it again.  Kind of like marathons and having kids (that's what I'm told anyway). 

Anyway, from SF, we headed north through Mill Valley to Fairfax, a hippie town where we refueled and reapplied sunscreen, then up & down to Alpine Dam, a beautiful reservoir, that even has it's own "Yelp" review!  Onward to a killer climb, and then to 7 Sisters, named for the 7 "rolling" hills on this section of the ride.  Rolling is not how I would describe them...Then to the final "wicked step-mother," Mt. Tamalpais.  According to Wikipedia, which is always right, nicknamed Mt Tam, it's the highest peak in the Marin Hills.  The view from the top is amazing--San Francisco off in the distance, the Farallons, Marin County.  All in all, we traveled almost 60 miles with 2500' of climbing! 
At the top of Mt Tam

As motivation, we nicknamed our crew, Team Tacos & Beer...hey, we needed motivation to get through!  And it worked!  Afterward, we refueled at one of my favorite restaurants, Tacolicious...No beer after this ride though...I had to bike home.  With the "reserves" low, I figured it'd be in my best interest to abstain!

MG & I are already planning our shared Birthday Ride...coming soon!

No comments: