Sunday, December 4, 2011

North Face Challenge Trail Marathon

Yesterday, I ran the North Face Challenge Trail Marathon. I ran last year, in a downpour, "skated" through the muddy and muck, and still had a blast. So, after I forgot the pain of last year, I signed myself up again this year. It was an amazing day, perfect for running--sunny and clear mid-50 to 60-degrees. The hills were tough, but I took my time, walked up the hills and was able to finish "upright" and under 5 hours. Trail running seems much more laid back than road running. Walking up hills is considered "ok" or actually, encouraged. The aid stations have treats--salty--potato chips, pretzels, potatoes, soup broth, and sweet--m&m's, energy chews, soda, pb&j sandwiches--all to keep us going. I probably drank a whole can of Mountain Dew throughout the race and several handfuls of potato chips; both of which I generally don't eat or rarely (I think the last Mt Dew I had was at a sleepover in 8th grade!), but both tasted so, so wonderful during the run. Since the sun was out, after the race, many people lounged around on the grass, refueling on provided pasta, soup and salad, cheering the finishers of the 3 races--marathon, 50km, and 50-miler.

No comments: