Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Inverness Get-Away

Over the weekend, I spent a few days at the family home of some friends in Inverness, near Point Reyes. The house is right on Tomales Bay. Across the Bay, you can see the cars heading up Highway 1 and can see all the oyster cages at Tomales Bay Oyster Farm. It was wonderfully relaxing and quiet. I went into "town" to Point Reyes Station for meals at the Station House, a tourist hot-spot, and Pine Cone Diner, a local diner, complete with plates lining the wall and a statue of Virgin Mary over the cash register. Both places, I had good food (eggs at both!). I also stopped in to Bovine Bakery, a favorite refueling stop for the cyclists, and Cow Girl Creamery, a famous cheese shop. I walked on the beach, took a trail run, and relaxed and read. I also headed up Highway 1 to Hog Island Oyster Farm & Cafe and ate the best fresh oysters I've ever tasted. Next time I go, I'll plan in advance and reserve a picnic table, get a few friends together, grab charcoals & bring salads  goodies & we can learn to shuck our own oysters!

BBQ'd oysters & local brew, Lagunita's

Barnacles & mussels on rocks

Low tide

Kehoe Beach

More oysters! Yum

Hog Island Oysters--buy them & shuck yourselves

Picnic area at Hog Island

Order your oysters here

Pine Cone Diner

No comments: