Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Californian?

Yes, that is right, I have decided to take a job with Greenpeace and stay out in San Francisco...

My internship went really well; the staff here at GP is great. It is a very friendly and supportive atmosphere, and I feel like I really fit in. I got involved with the organization at a good time and there are more entry-level jobs now than at most other times. I am very fortunate! So, I do have mixed feelings about taking the job...I keep telling myself this is all a part of the adventure and nothing has to be permanent...I can pack up and leave tomorrow, if I choose, or I can stay for years. This is the sort of work I want to do...so what better organization to do it with/for.

There are 2 campaigns that are run out of the SF Greenpeace office--global warming and forest campaigns. My new job would be Campaigns Assistant, so I will be assisting everyone on both campaigns. I have been learning a lot and trying to quickly become acquainted with the organization and all of the processes/procedures.

I moved to a new apartment the beginning of February. I have one roommate now--instead of 6--her name is Jene and she designs jewelry. She is really great and makes me laugh! She has a great sense of style, is really outgoing, and a little (ok, very) dramatic! I think it is so funny, I called a cab to move! I only have 2 large bags worth of 'stuff,' so moving was easy! It is actually a very freeing feeling to not be bogged down with stuff. I have realized I do not need as much. Before I speak too quickly, though, I must admit, I have acquired a few more things...though, if I stop now, I may still fit into a cab the next time I move!

I have taken a part time job--mostly weekends--at a local sporting goods store. I work in the running shoe and triathlon departments. I think it will be a great way to meet more people and hopefully get together with a training group(s) for upcoming tri or running races.

So, my adventures may decrease or at least the sight-seeing part. But I will keep this posted as to my doings and such. I still have a lot of exploring to do...

No comments: