Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sun, Soccer, Wine

Paul came out to SF this past weekend for the long weekend...of course, as always, the time went too quickly! Lucky for me the start of the work-week brought rain, not the bitter cold of MN and ND...

We had a great Valentine dinner at one of my favorite SF restaurants, Herbivore. We walked around so I could show Paul what I had learned about my somewhat-new neighborhood...Dolores Park, Tartine, Delfina, Bi-right, Mission Dolores. Yes, I am still renting out my tour-guide services...

Friday, while I was working, Paul explored and walked around Fisherman's Wharf, the Financial District, Chinatown, and North Beach...needless to say, as he and our friend Jen put it, "his dogs were barking" at the end of the day.

Saturday morning, we went to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. Everytime I go, I wish I was going back to my apartment soon afterward, so I could buy everything! It just has a great atmosphere too! The produce is so amazing; there was music, potted herbs, dried fruits, nuts, breakfast stands. Paul and I spent the rest of Saturday walking around the Embarcadero and Union Square. Saturday night, I had gotten tickets to a soccer documentary, Zidane. This film followed French soccer star, Zidane during a 2005 match. Literally, followed him the entire film. There were something like 17 cameras capturing his every move. I know Paul especially enjoyed the film, which I am very glad. I, on the other had, would have been better suited to see Zidane in a matinee...I fell asleep...

Sunday, Paul and I rented a car and drove northward to Napa. We enjoyed a tasting at Sautri Winery, which was a little too busy and crowded for our liking. We especially enjoyed Grgich Hills Winery, a smaller winery, whose wine was organically and biodynamically produced. In addition, we stopped at the Franciscan Winery, which had a more modern and intimate tasting room. We ate at a wonderful place Paul had found called Ubuntu, a hip, vegetarian, yoga restaurant.

The long weekend was refreshing and the weather was amazing!! We had an awesome time!

No comments: