Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wildflower Triathlon

So, again it has been a while! The longer I go without writing, the more overwhelming writing (and catching up) seems. So, here goes.

I started the summer with a triathlon at Lake San Antonio. It was my first Olympic tri--1.5K swim, 56K bike, and 10k run. Like many things in life, actually doing the race proved to be the best way to understand the distance. I had read numerous articles, scoured over training plans, gone to Q&A sessions about the race, but race day was the best education! This is one of the largest triathlons in the state of California (and perhaps the country), and most of the competitors, friends, and fans camp for the weekend. All kinds of people do this race--are pros (Andy Potts the Olympian won his race), serious competitors, and normal athletes like me. Some teams create elaborate camps with tents, campers, grills, music. And some folks bring (or rent) their "pimped out" campers, which likely have better appliances and mattresses then the ones I own! Each to their own, right! Like I said this tri is huge, with around 7,000+ competitors taking part in one of three races--Olympic, long (1/2 Ironman), and sprint mountain bike. The atmosphere of the weekend was upbeat, competitive, and friendly. The volunteers stood out in the sun all weekend--amazing--handing out water, food, gels, etc. and even offered a "naked water stop," where they passed out water....yes, naked. It is a tradition, I guess, and maybe there is some beer involved too!!




Andrea, Laura, Areil, Rebecca, Adam after the race!

Start of the race on the left side; exit the water & run up the ramp on the right side.

Transition area...so...many...bikes!!

I had a good race; and since this was my first at this distance, I did not have a way to gauge. I did learn a lot about my training and what I need to improve upon for the next one. The weather the entire weekend was amazing (a tiny bit of rain on the ride down & during camp set-up). The group I went with was incredibly funny and chill and totally a blast to hang out with! All of the mouthfuls of water (salty, fresh, & chlorinated), the minor spills on my bike (don't ask!), the spin classes where I swore my instructor was crazy, the runs through the fog/mist in the months leading up to the race were totally worth it!



1 comment:

cassie haw said...

i had almost given up on the chance of you posting again! you make me want to start running which is no small feat...
k e e p posting please.