Sunday, October 23, 2011

NYC Marathon - 14 days!

When my brother and I entered the lottery for the NYC Marathon this year (or last ? -- it was so long ago), I didn't think I actually get in. Greg and I have been trying off and on for the past few years, with no luck. This year, as things would go, I had my Ironman in July, and then I get into the NYC Marathon! But Greg didn't. I felt I was mentally (and physically!) tired from the Ironman training, but I really wanted to run the race. My brother said he didn't mind if I go without him, so I decided to do it. I've heard the Marathon is a fantastic race. There are crowds (2-3 people deep) the entire course -- if you're a runner, you know this rarely happens in longer races, especially marathons. There are 40,000 people who run the race, and friends who've run have told me it's the best organized run they've taken part. Despite all the excitement about the actual race, I don't feel 100% prepared. I know I have a base from my Ironman training, and I knew going into this that I wouldn't be able to train as hard as I'd like (because I am tired). I'll get through the race, a little slower than I'd probably like, and it'll just hurt a lot! But, fall in NYC will be great, and I will stay with my good friends JD and CS in Red Hook / Brooklyn. I am looking forward to catching up with those two, and exploring the city.

No comments: