Friday, November 11, 2011

NYC Marathon

Wow, what an awesome race. 47,000 runners lined up last Sunday to take part in the event. The race is a "tour" of all 5 boroughs of the city. It starts in Staten Island,  heads to Brooklyn, then Queens, Harlem, and finally Manhattan. There are bridges throughout: the Verrenzo Narrows Bridge (the race begins on it), the Pulaski Bridge, Queensboro Bridge, Wills Ave Bridge, and Madison Avenue Bridge. Whew! The bridges were deceptionally difficult--they're a long up and then a long down. Gradual, it's hard to even feel or see it. My body definitely felt this at the end!

The weather was perfect for running--sunny and 50-degrees. The crowds during the race were like none I've ever experienced--so much energy, excitement. There were clever signs, "Toenails are overrated," marriage proposals, "go Mom" or "Dad" signs. There were 103 bands on the course, keeping the runners and crowds energized.

The race began on the Verrenzo Narrows Bridge on Staten Island. There were 3 waves of us--I was the last wave. The bridge is a double-decker, so each wave was split into corrals, and 1/2 of the wave began on the top and 1/2 on the bottom. I can't imagine the logistics of a marathon with 47,000 participants--wow. It was so well planned and organized, probably the best event I've been a part.

Until about mile 18, I was able to enjoy the race, read the signs, smile. After 18, my pace slowed a bit, my legs and back hurt. I stopped looking at the crowds as much and made it a goal to run water station to water station, which were every mile. It wasn't really fun anymore. But I told myself, this isn't easy, and I'd done plenty of difficult things in my life (well, it's all relative, I guess), I could do this.

The finish area was a little conjested and my body was in a lot of pain. I just wanted to sit, but we had to keep moving through the line. After picking up my medal, food and water, clothing, I was able to exit Central Park and find somewhere to sit and stretch. After about an hour, I felt better and was able to smile again.

Afterward, I headed back to Brooklyn--on the train with about 1000 other runners! I felt badly for the "normal" people, who just happened to get stuck on the wrong train with all of us! I am sure we smelled great. JD, CS, and I had a great dinner in Prospect Heights (I think) at a great little Mediterranean restaurant.

The next morning, I flew back to SF. The race was an amazing experience. I'll never forget it. I would love to do it again.

Ready or Not--picking up my race packet!

Staten Island Ferry

Staten Island Ferry

Statue of Liberty from the Ferry
Verrenzo Narrows Bridge--Start of the race

Finished!

No comments: