Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. Thank you to those who have served. I read somewhere today, "honor the warriors, not the war." Well said.

This morning, I took full advantage of the day off and walked around the neighborhood. I don't remember the last time I did this....went for a walk without an agenda or some destination. I guess my only "destination" this morning was coffee! I used the opportunity to take a few photos. A friend of mine always says she wants to start recording the city in photos. She's lived in SF most of her life, so she has definitely seen it change. Like any city, over the years, parking lots become condos, the pet store on the corner becomes a barber shop, the Chinese restaurant welcomes a new chef, becomes a hot-spot, and is written up in the New York Times (and consequently requires a 3-week in-advance reservation!)--All of these have happened within 2-blocks of my apartment. These changes happen slowly and subtly, and we don't even notice the neighborhood changing.

I also wanted to record my neighborhood for the quirkiness, art, and the fact that is has changed in the 3 years I have been here. Here is a walk around the neighborhood:




Sidewalk art on Cumberland St

Women's Building mural
Dr. Suess-ish building mural!
 


No comments: