Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wipeout

Today, as I turned the corner to 18th St (my Street), only about 4 minutes left to go in my run, I noticed the yarn store on the corner, and a woman, walking on the sidewalk ahead, wearing a very pretty knit sweater. Maybe she came from the yarn store. As I was passing her, I tripped and totally wiped out. Like a sliding wipe out. Ouch.

Every few months, I fall on my runs. It's embarrassing and sometimes painful but more embarrassing. I am not exactly sure why it happens; it usually happens near the end of my runs, and maybe I am not paying enough attention to the cracks and unevenness. Of course, it always happens around people. In the past year, I have fallen 3-4 times (this is the 2nd fall on 18th St). I have NEVER seen another runner fall, or even anyone fall, for that matter, when I am out. I think no else falls. Besides me. Embarrassing.

This one today really hurt. It was all I could do not to cry. The woman in the pretty knit sweater said softly to me, "take your time getting up, dear." I did too. Then I just got up and walked (hobbled) down the sidewalk, telling myself not to cry. I didn't even thank her, which I feel badly about now. Though, at the time, I couldn't really talk. Luckily, only scrapes and bruises. So, yes falls happen. I need to pay better attention.

No comments: