Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tourists

San Francisco is ranked the No. 1 destination in the U.S. by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler.

So, it may seem that I frequently complain about tourists, have been known to hit one with my bike (hey, not entirely my fault!), and I might claim that I *never* act like one, when I actually am...But here in San Francisco, tourists are everywhere. I don't go to Fisherman's Wharf, because there are too many tourists. I have never been to Ghirardelli Square. I ride my bike over the Bridge early in the morning to avoid the tour-bus-unload of Boy Scouts or retirees. I'd rather go to Sonoma County than Napa because of the lines. I never understood why people lived in the North Beach neighborhood (City Lights bookstore and Italian restaurants are magnets), until I actually discovered the most amazingly quaint side streets with cafes and local clothing designers (which I don't think are highlighted in Frommers, so we might be safe for a bit).


Does this make me a bad person because I admit this? Do I sound snobby? I hope not. After all, I am a tourist from time to time, and I guess I was even one at one point here in SF.

But tourism IS a big deal here. A $8.6 billion dollar per year "big deal." Of course every restaurant, trinket-selling, "bike the Bridge" renting bike shop thinks it's a big deal. Since the locals like me stay away, these folks wouldn't exist if not for the "I (heart) SF" sweatshirt wearing (and buying) crowd. Annually, there are 15,920,000 visitors to SF. According to a 7x7 article, "more than half of the 14 percent hotel tax goes straight to paving our roads, hiring our police force, maintaining our parks, and supporting our social services." Whoa! I might argue (just for the sake), that one more percentage could go to the roads--every cyclist and motorist here would likely agree!

So, while I know the economy of SF depends on tourism, and I am one myself, and I am trying not be be such a crab about it. I've created a few rules to follow when visitng a new place:

1. The same traffic rules apply when you're on vacation. If you want someone (car, bike, bus) to stop for you, please use the crosswalk. Don't be mad if no one stops for you when you're jetting between parked cars in the middle of the street. And don't be surprised if you get hit. Also, depending on the country, traffic flows in a certain direction--follow it.

2. Do not walk with your head pointed upward, mouth open, completely oblivious to any one/thing around you. Don't do this as you hold your camera in front of you. Don't do any/all of this on a bike while crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

3. Remember, you're not the only person/group visiting. Don't be rude.

4. Other people actually live there. Treat it like you'd want people to treat your town.

5. Don't litter.

6. Don't forget your manners.

7. Ask the locals for advice on restaurants, shops, neighborhoods to wander through; likely they'll be your
best source of information, and you'll get the gems of the city.

8. Try the local cuisine.

9. Wear appropriate clothing for your vacation. Heels probably are not a good idea for NYC. Yes, Carrie does it, but she's a local and she's fictional. Check the weather before you go. San Francisco is not warm. Yes, it's California, but it's not warm. Bring a sweater. Or, you'll have to buy a "I (heart) SF" sweatshirt--you'll never wear it again and everyone will know you're a tourist.

10. If ever in question, see number 6.

So, that's it. I know, I'll stop being so crabby about tourists. Just follow my rules! Please.

No comments: