Sunday, January 13, 2008

Boots are Made for Walking...and Riding

Saturday morning, I went downtown to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. It was so fun! Twice a week--Saturdays and Tuesdays (I think)--farmers and producers from the area come and set up stands outside the Ferry Building. The building itself is pretty cool, filled with unique shops, cafes, and restaurants. The produce looked and tasted great--there is nothing like local, fresh produce!

I met Veronika, another GP intern who recently graduated from Long Beach State, and we walked along the ocean on Embarcadero and ended at Fisherman's Wharf. Veronika is originally from Vienna and has lived in the US for 6 or 7 years. She is very stylish....well who isn't, compared to me...and she is great...very fun. She is very European...for lack of a better word. I am not trying to offend her (or others) but she is very chill and no-nonsense. Anyway, we then walked through the boutique shops of Pacific Heights. For dinner, we found a great Thai place... we were the only ones because we ate at 4:30PM!


Today, Sunday, Veronika and I met again and rented bikes. We took them along the ocean and rode over the Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge is amazing and loud and windy. We stopped half-way across to snap photos and check out the scenery. I think we may have seen dolphins (?). It was hard to tell...I will have to ask someone at work if this is possible. I am not up on my ocean fish/mammals/life. I have not been to the SF aquarium yet...yes, it is on the list!

The ride was a little more strenuous than I expected...not hard, but more than the folks at Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals & Tours let on. I know, I am from a town with no hills, but there are a lot of families with young kids who take this trek. Advice...do not ride a tandem with a little kid...you will do all the work...and there are hills!

Across the bridge is Marin County and we rode to Sausalito, the first town across. It is a very cute, trendy, and probably where people with money have homes or go to stay. There were so many bikers on the bridge (walkers/runners use the other side). Some of the bikers were like us and renting (tourists), but many others were serious bikers and I am sure very irritated with the traffic! I am sure regular riders hate the weekends with the increase in bike-activity! Veronika and I ran out of time to bike to see the redwoods in Muir Woods...next time. We took the Ferry back to SF.

We worked up an appetite, so we stopped at a sandwich shop suggested to us by Linda at GP. Yummy...or else I was just really hungry!

2 comments:

sjpeterson said...

Wow!! Sounds like an interesting job! We use Kim-wipes in our lab to clean out microscopes, good thing I use them sparingly. I agree with what your job is trying to accomplish, I highly doubt that "big sister" (what I call planned parenthood) would listen to a thing I say about using the wipes though.

sjpeterson said...

In That town there is a bus that is called the Sally. Of course I had my pic taken by it, like they planned the name just for me