Sunday, January 6, 2008

Bumpy Trip

Made it...Of course, it was not without a few bumps. Car trouble on the way to the cities resulted in my truck being hauled on the back of a trailer up to Hibbing and Paul taking the Greyhound back to Fargo. And my flight into CA went right through the aftermath of the storm that hit the West Coast. Early in the flight, I actually wondered if anyone ever really used "barf bags." The turbulance made me rethink. I knew I would not need the "bag," but I did not feel well!

My room is nice...a desk, couch, TV, and XBox. I had to be told this was the system with the paddle/handle...I cannot keep them all straight. I think I would rather explore SF than learn how to play. I went with one of my roommates yesterday to Rainbow Market....absolutely wonderful! This grocery/market has everything--local, organic, and great produce.

Today I walked through Haight/Ashbury area of town...from what I am told, this is where the "Summer of Love" initiated. I walked through Golden Gate Park and also visited the SF Botanic Garden and Arboretum. It is nice the city has included both into the park and do not charge admission. People who might not otherwise make a point to see them can walk around. Everything is green and smells so fresh. It was cool to see the plants we cannot grow in MN/ND like bamboo and redwoods. Although, the storm did cause a lot of damage to the park; there were leaves and sticks scattered everywhere and many trees down. For dinner, I found this great restaurant called Herbivore. Sometimes it is weird to eat alone. I was not near a window, so I felt I had to stare straight forward. I wanted to look over at the guy next to me, to check out what he was eating and how quickly he was eating it, but I felt uncomfortable and that he would think I was rude....I also did not want him to be looking at me...weird...maybe it is a Midwest-thing....or maybe me.

1 comment:

shelzbelle said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Wish I was there. What an opportunity for you. Have fun and see you in Feb.