Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Work and Play Days

I started work yesterday, so now I finally know what I am doing out here! The day went quickly with introductions of the office, learning about the organization, and learning about my position. I am working with the Grassroots Student Network. Basically, college/university-attending students sign up to work with the Greenpeace Student Network, and through guidance from Greenpeace, they work to organize campaigns at their schools. There are 5 campaigns Greenpeace works on right now....I cannot remember them all...give me a break, I am an intern! Anyway, the campaign I work with is called Kleercut, which is targeting Kimberly-Clark, makers of brands such as Scott, Kleenex, Kotex, Depends, and others. KC is clearing the ancient Boreal Forests in Alaska and Canada, in essence, to "throw" away. KC would not consider incorporating post-consumer recycled product because, they say, their customers do not want it and it would compromise the integrity of their product.

Kleenex has this campaign where a man in a large city, maybe NY, is sitting on a couch and he is talking personally with another indivudual sitting on the couch across from him....that person becomes emotional...and he hands them a Kleenex...Anyway, Greenpeace staged this spoof at a Chicago taping of one of these commercials...it is pretty funny; check it out on YouTube. There are all these people in bear costumes.

So the work thus far, has been very interesting.

Monday, I did check out Fisherman's Wharf, the seals, and the beautiful ocean. I also walked through Chinatown where there seemed to be hundreds of little trinket shops and dim sum restaurants. I did not see any markets with live chickens or skinned animals hanging from the doorways, thank goodness! There may not have been any either....but I am not about to go back to check it out...

I walked up a huge hill (more about those in a bit) to see the crooked street, Lombard Street. I had to do it, but it was worth the pictures. Back to the hills, when I run (or sometimes walk) up them....I think I have written on my shirt...I am from a city where the largest "hill" is a man-made dike next to the river...yes, I am dying here!!! As soon as I remotely become used to the hills, it will be time for me to go!

I have slept well only one night since I have been here. Probably a little to do with the "new" environment, but also, our doorbell is loose or has a short in it....so it rings from the wind blowing! It rings about 8 times a night!

No comments: