Monday, January 21, 2008

Californ.vacation

It is so great to have good friends! I feel I have been kind of in a fog since I arrived. Everything has been so new--people, job, apartment, atmosphere, sights. I have to put much more thought into doing the most simple of things... like going to buy groceries--what bus to take, or can I walk, how far will I have to carry my items? So, it seems my mind has been easily preoccupied with such "other" things, I suppose sort of important things, but this weekend, I was able to relax for a bit and catch up with old friends.

On Saturday morning, I rented a car and drove down to Santa Barbara to visit Jen and Damian. It was actually nice to get a way from the city and explore a bit of CA. The scenery along 101 was very beautiful...a lot of farms, vineyards, the ocean at times. I think it is very funny how Californians call San Francisco Northern California; last time I checked, it was near the center of the state...I don't now if this is a bit of sarcasm or arrogance or what...Seems similar to high school sports when Hibbing was considered outstate. Outstate...Like anything out of the Metro is another state? Oh, easily distracted. Sorry. Anyway, back on track...

I stopped along the way, in Los Osos, to visit my mom's cousin Barb and her husband, Joe, whom I have not seen in at least 10 years. It was great to catch up with them...they are shortly moving to San Diego for 6 months to work with Wild Coast, a non-profit that works along the Mexican/US/CA border to protect and clean the water through outreach, education, clean-up, perhaps activism, and more. I think it is a great adventure they are about to embark!

Jen & Damian are great friends from Fargo...they moved to Santa Barbara in July...Damian is working toward a PhD in English at UCSB and Jen teaches 8th grade at a private school. We had such a great time! Jen and I, along with Metta...the wonderdog or really, I think she is part human...went on a long hike. It is incredible, the hiking trails were only about a 10 minute drive from the city...it was great! Jen took me to UCSB and we walked along the beach...it would be pretty cool to go to college right on the ocean! The city is very trendy with Spanish-style architecture. I was able to meet several of Jen's friends. Jen and Damian had me laughing, as always. We had a great time, and as always, the time went too quickly. Before I knew it, I was back in the car headed up to SF. It was great to have a 3-day weekend...

No comments: