Monday, March 14, 2011

Dip in the Bay

Sunday morning, I joined one of the local running groups for their weekend meet-up. We ran through the Presidio, up along the ocean, through the Redwoods, up and down trails, past the kids on the playground, and along the Marina. Afterward, a friend and I had planned to do a swim in the Bay at Aquatic Park--just a quick dip--get in and get out. There is a local, members-only swim club near the area we always swim. The members are the crazy folks that swim in the Bay without wetsuits. My friend had heard we could pay a few dollars and use the club before and after our swim--more importantly, this meant a shower and sauna afterward. I didn't have to race home for a shower--cold and with blue lips! We made our way over to the club after our run, and found out the club was closed to guests on Sundays. The woman at the door let us in anyway; maybe it was the desperation on our faces or she felt sorry we'd carried all of our gear there. At any rate, the members of the club were extremely friendly. We soon found out we were the only ones in wetsuits, and we got the "oh, you must be new" nod-smiles as we made our way to the beach. I didn't let it bother me. I couldn't. We said hello to a man in a speedo suit on the beach getting ready for his swim. It was all I could do not to shriek from the cold as I entered the water. I didn't want the man to think I was a wimp.

We did one lap around the buoys, like last week. It wasn't so bad, after the first 5 minutes. I seem to forget how cold it is, every time. We got out and enjoyed a sauna and shower. One of these times, we'll have to jump on our bikes after our swim, but the warmth was a nice way to end the workout!

No comments: