Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oakland Hills, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Sebastapol, Nicasio--all in one week!

I've been feeling tired lately...well, more than that, fatigued, might be the right word. And while I am not 25 anymore and can't bounce back like I used to, I'd thought I was in pretty good shape. My diet and/or hydration can be partly to blame as well--I have not been as diligent about either. Still, I am a little bummed to come to terms with this fatigue. My training is ramping up, but I am still only about 1/4 the way in; I have a lot left--in terms of mileage and workouts (and the actual race!). I spend anywhere from 8-12 hours each week training, so I can understand being tired, but not bouncing back is what has made me worry. And my training will only increase here on out.

After I ran the Redwood Park 30K trail race last Saturday, I woke up on Sunday morning and knew there was no way I was getting on my bike and/or doing anything physical that day! I was taking the "red-eye" flight to Minnesota later in the day, so while exercise would ensure I could sleep well on the plane, I just could not do it. I spent most of the day reading and watching TV on Hulu on my computer.

While in MN last week, I had a few good workouts--fun run along the river with my brother, a spin class and swim at the gym--but mostly, I took it really easy. (I got to catch up and visit with friends and family too, which was so awesome.) Mostly hoping to get rid of this "tired-feeling" I have in my legs. Friday night, I flew back to SF, and jumped in my friend's car and we drove up to Sebastapol, where our bike team had a "launch party" at a bike shop (and a sponsor). It gave us a chance to meet our sponsors and Board, and chat about the upcoming season. A few of my cycling teammates are also training for Ironman races, so we checked in and compared notes about training and life. I discovered they're tired too! Great--well, no, not "great..." But I felt relieved, I'd say, that I was not the only one who's tired! They're teetering the line between feeling over-trained, mentally exhausted, trying to keep up with life and non-training activities...So, I could relate. We all discussed that we do know our bodies and minds and while it's hard to step back and relax and take a break, sometimes, it's the only thing to do. For me, I've always been go, go, go...And then I get so tired that I just hit the wall. This "balance" is so hard for me to find. It's going to be essential though, for me, in order to get through the next 4 months of work, training, travel, friends, and life.

Saturday was my first time I was on my bike in a week. It felt good to get out. We rode to Nicasio, a small, ranch town in the North Bay. Each time, we stop at Rancho Nicasio, a general store, bar/restaurant where cyclists, tourists, motorcyclists, locals all stop to refuel. I think Rancho Nicasio is the town of Nicasio. Next to it are a ball park, church and cemetery.

Finally, after my run this morning, my training buddy, RQ, and I braved a swim in the Bay. We parked at Aquatic Park, ran out and back, and then started the "workout" of getting into our wetsuits. I think it took longer to get into the suits than our actual swim! Our goal was just to get in the water, which was 52-degrees. We did, and completed one lap around the inner buoys. We jumped out of the water and out of our wetsuits as quick as possible. We drove home with the heat on high!

No comments: